Gospel According to Daniel: Five Reasons to See Daniel Kitson

We are getting perilously close to January 2012 which means Daniel Kitson will soon be in Brooklyn.  #happydance #peeingmyself  #gettingamakeovertomakehimmyboyfriend  #losingcredibility  #stop #breathe

He is doing his show, It's Always Right Now, Until It's Later (IARNUIL) at St. Ann's Warehouse from January 3-29.  You might find me there at least once a week--maybe more. I have a tendency to like very few things but when I do like performers or shows it's usually with my heart and soul and pocketbook.  Kitson is one of those performers and this is one of those shows.  I realize you may be sick of me talking about this, so this is my final, well-reasoned plea to get you to buy tickets.

Here are 5 Reasons and a nudge to see Daniel Kitson do his show It's Always Right Now, Until It's Later:


1) If you like funny, touching things, you will probably like this.

Kitson is a master storyteller.  It's an art form I have to admit I don't see much of despite my avid theater-going. If you are going to dip your toes in the waters of storytelling why not start out with someone who is an expert at it.  He's been taking his storytelling shows to the Edinburgh Fringe for years.  He has just finished a series of shows in London at the National Theatre.  His original booking in October was so popular that the theater arranged for him to return in December and to squeeze in the extension they even scheduled morning shows!  People are skipping work to go see him!

It's a show that quietly and swiftly wraps itself around your heartstrings, tugging ever so gently and reminding you of what it means to be human.  Words that regular people have used to describe the show: "clever," "intelligent," "witty," "observant," "stunning," "poignant," "powerful."

It is pretty much guaranteed you will laugh and/or you will cry.  If you don't, then maybe you are a robot.  If you don't laugh or cry, you should probably get that checked.

But just to be clear, I'm not giving you your money back if you don't like it.  It is only 90 minutes long so if you don't like it, it won't be for long.


2)  You'll feel smug around your friends who did not get tickets and once the Brantley review comes out won't be able to get tickets.

After seeing Daniel Kitson's show, The Interminable Suicide of Gregory Church,  last year I was dying to see it again.  But it was sold out through the end of the run.  I was crushed.  I still am in fact.  Like if he could do the two shows in rep I'd be ecstatic.  (Daniel, if you are reading this, I'd settle for you doing the shows in rep like for one night.  I'll let you know when I am there and you could just do it for me. I'll love you forever. Thx.)

Don't miss out on what could be the greatest theatrical experience of your life because you dillydallied on buying tickets.  Yes, I just used the word dillydally.  I am my mother. #killsself


3)  You'll get to say to your grandkids, "I saw Daniel Kitson from 10 feet away once."

I remember seeing Eddie Izzard for the first time at PS 122.  It was a long frickin' time ago.  It was a very different show from the one he played more recently at Madison Square Garden.  Frankly, it was a much better show at PS 122 when he had to work for his audience.  He had only been to New York once before.  I didn't have a clue who he was but Time Out recommended his show (also IARNUIL is currently a Critic's Pick from Time Out), and at the time, I was pretty persuaded by whatever Time Out told me.  I became obsessed.  So obsessed I bought PAL VHS tapes of his shows (yes remember VHS tapes, remember how they didn't work in all countries--well they didn't--so if you wanted to see UK VHS tapes you needed a special VCR...well I bought those special UK only VHS tapes of Izzard and then a special VCR). It was great to see a talented comedian in a small venue without any preconceived notions.

Come to Daniel Kitson as a blank slate (as blank as one can be when you have me shouting at you week after week to buy these tickets).  The space at St. Ann's is really intimate and you won't be far from the man himself.  Sit close.  He speaks fast. 


4) Tickets are only $25

There is a little downside here.  The price is reasonable.  You've bought rush tickets for more than this. You've probably bought a crappy pair of shoes for more than this.  Price cannot be an issue. 


5) If you don't trust me, see what others have had to say

Lyn Gardner of The Guardian

Alice Jones of The Independent

Jonny Ensall of The List

Fiona Mountford of The Evening Standard


Reason 5.5)  Those Who Love Me Can Take the Train

I once had a going away party in Brooklyn entitled that.  It's actually the title of a French movie.  Yes, I am that pretentious.  And yes, I once went away from New York on a journey I later dubbed the Trail of Tears.  But I mention it because I would not make people take the train or ferry to Brooklyn without good reason.  I think Daniel Kitson is a pretty damn good reason.

Comments