Daniel Kitson Announces a Show That Does Not Yet Exist

I have been thinking about fear and bravery a lot lately.  Not sure why.  It is much harder for me to walk across a room and introduce myself to someone I don't know than it is for me to get on a plane and go to a country where I do not speak the language and talk with local taxi drivers there.  I was just in Cuba on a people-to-people contact visa to meet Cuban artists and see their work (I'll post some photos and a little write-up on the performances I saw when I was there).  I was walking through one of the rougher neighborhoods with some friends.  A guy started sexually harassing me and I mouthed off to him in Spanish (a language I don't actually speak).  Where that bravado came from I do not know.  I did get a laugh out of a Cuban woman who heard me do it.  I love a little international comic validation. 


But on the scale of brave vs. coward I am decidedly on the cowardly side of the spectrum.  I'll eat spleen in a first world country but I turned down eating brain in a third world country.  It's just how I roll.

I tend to put Daniel Kitson in the brave category.  Even though he is already taking a new stand-up comedy show to the Fringe, he has announced a new theater show for the Edinburgh  Fringe this season called: As of 1.52pm GMT on Friday April 27th 2012, This Show Has No Title.

Even without a title, it is described as an 80 minute show that Kitson has not yet written.  Let that sink in for a minute.  His recent email about it said "I really don’t know what this show will be yet. I will think about it in June, write it in July and Perform it in August."  So he's actually announced a new 80 minute show that he has not even thought about yet.   Who does that?  Is he not being challenged enough in life?  Is this his Olympic event?  The write-a-play-in-a-month hurdles?  He makes us all look like creative slackers.


Fact: Daniel Kitson has the biggest balls of anyone I know.*  I have, of course, purchased a ticket to this work.  Or maybe two tickets. 


*For the record no actual ball measuring was conducted to support this statement.  Whether or not this is a fact will remain a mystery--as it should be with Le Kitson.

Comments